GEELONG REGIONAL CONSTRUCTION SAFETY GROUP (GRCSG) Key Points
Meeting 1 – 11 February 2019
- GRCSG NOW ESTABLISHED to serve our region with representatives from WorkSafe, commercial and domestic construction sectors, subcontractors, suppliers and hire companies.
- INFORMATION SHARING has now been enabled between employers, employees, subcontractors, employer organisations and WorkSafe.
- A “LESSONS LEARNT” PRESENTATION regarding EWP use is currently being prepared.
- CONSTRUCTION INDUCTION TRAINING (White Card) extent of acceptance in each state is under review.
- SECONDARY GUARDING ON EWP’S status of implementation is being widely researched.
Meeting 2 – 25 March 2019
- NEW GROUP MEMBER from Multi Skills Training, Graham Bowman was invited and accepted a position with the group in an ongoing role.
- SILICA DUST RISK discussion paper was tabled to the group for further discussion.
- SECONDARY GUARDING ON EWP’S is being progressively and proactively installed on Tutt Bryant existing EWP plant over the past 12 months ahead of “new design” based equipment.
- “LESSONS LEARNT” PRESENTATION 2nd draft due for submission by LC to WorkSafe for review.
- HALT “SAVE YOUR BACON” BREKKY will take place at Faggs’ Mitre 10 South Geelong store on a date to be advised.
- Group commenced discussion on supporting WorkSafe HEALTH AND SAFETY MONTH in October 2019.
Meeting 3 – 13 May 2019
- NEW GROUP MEMBER Signature Homes have accepted a position with the group giving the Domestic sector two representatives now.
- CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY attention was given to Blue Hats (worker wellbeing), Incolink Health checks, and Government Law development on Industrial Manslaughter Legislation.
- Awareness to members of the INCOLINK regular publication of their “Onsite” magazine.
- Discussion on the recent WORKSAFE PRESENTATION “Mirrored Installation” at Westfield shopping centre press report.
- WORKSAFE HEALTH & SAFETY MONTH of October 2019 – Ideas are streaming forward as a focus for our group for an activity during the month.
Meeting 4 – 24 June 2019
- LICENCING OF LABOUR HIRE companies is currently being rolled out by the Victorian government.
- INFORMATION provided on WorkSafe June Construction Safety Focus: Electrical Safety.
- INDUSTRIAL MANSLAUGHTER LAWS that are proposed for Victoria have been responded to by the Master Builders Association of Victoria.
- SWMS presentation to domestic builders is being developed.
- WORKSAFE HEALTH & SAFETY MONTH in October has had a presentation programme drafted and is being discussed.
Meeting 5 – 22 July 2019
- WORKSAFE targeted blitz on mobile cranes will commence in August.
- GUEST SPEAKERS invited to present on safety topics.
- MENTAL HEALTH WELLBEING detailed contact information will be posted in work site amenities.
- USE AN ACCREDITED RTO check they are accredited or the training may not be recognised.
- WORKSAFE HEALTH & SAFETY MONTH in October group activity format has been approved by WorkSafe with the details to be finalised.
Meeting 6 – 19 August 2019
- PUBLIC AND CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY COMMENT on the proposed new EPA Act scheduled for release on 1/7/2020 is currently open.
- ON LINE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY INDUCTION CARDS training is no longer accredited.
- SWMS generally should be monitored that they are not too complex or specific enough. They must be relevant to the task at hand
in the specific work environment.
- OPERATION OF ALL EWP’s require proof of competency. High Risk Work Licence WP are required for all knuckle booms over 11m. Scissor lifts do
not require a licence but proof of competency is required. eg. EWP Yellow Card
- “HALT” “SAVE YOUR BACON BREKKY” is scheduled for Tuesday 10th September 2019 @ 7.30am in Faggs’ Mitre 10 Car Park Barwon Terrace South Geelong. Feel free to attend.
Meeting 7 – 30 September 2019
- All of construction industry to watch out for the implementation of LABOUR HIRE BUSINESS REGULATION due to start on 1/11/2019.
- Follow up required on what HIA have done about responding to comment required on the NEW EPA ACT due to come in to force on 1/7/2020.
- Rejection of Construction Industry INDUCTION CARDS obtained on line since 5/4/2019. This will be an Industry wide issue.
- EWPA MEWP Supervisors course being run by Lyons Construction in Geelong on 16/10/2019 and 30/10/2019. (This is a NSW curriculum trial). Invitations have been sent out.
- October 2019 is WorkSafe “HEALTH & SAFETY MONTH”. Various presentations on all day at GMHBA on 8/10/2019 all welcome to attend.
Meeting 8 – 18 November 2019
- GRCSG is pleased to announce it will continue in 2020 in the same format with bi-monthly meetings.
- INDUSTRIAL MANSLAUGHTER legislation passed the Government lower house week ending 15/11/19.
- BUILDING TRADE LICENSING is currently being discussed by the Government and the Union (for Painters, Plasterers, Bricklayers, Carpenters, and Tilers).
- A WORKSAFE TASKFORCE is investigating a possible safety breach “On the Spot” fine system.
- Public comment has closed on the new EPA Act to be introduced on 1/7/2020.
Meeting 9 – 10 February 2020
- New member TIM MARTIN from LNX CONSTRUCTIONS has joined the GRCSG for 2020.
- INDUSTRIAL MANSLAUGHTER LEGISLATION due to come into effect 1/7/2020 as mentioned in Herald Sun article on 1/2/2020 includes “suicide.” Employer Associations need to confirm this is current and outline any steps Employers need to take.
- MASTER BUILDERS VICTORIA RESPONSE to the Government/ Union TASK FORCE ON REGISTRATION AND LICENSING of building trades highlights an industry minefield for employers to manage.
- The EXPOSURE STANDARD FOR CRYSTALLINE SILICA DUST (listed under Quartz (respirable dust)) is 0.05mg/m³ as a TWA (time-weighted average) airborne concentration over eight hours. WorkSafe Victoria recommends that employees are not exposed to level above 0.02mg/m³ as a TWA. This is a precautionary measure to prevent silicosis, and to minimise the risk of lung cancer.
- HEARING TESTS FOR EMPLOYEES should always occur at pre-start of employment and then again at two year intervals as required by regulation. This is so employers have a track record for any hearing loss claims.
Meeting 10 – 11 May 2020
- NEW MEMBER Sam Hall from FC Walker Plaster & Tiles has joined the group and will attend the next meeting scheduled for 3/8/2020.
- WorkSafe are providing construction INDUSTRY INFORMATION SESSIONS to Gordon TAFE apprentices. Lyons Construction to provide contact details to WorkSafe on Deakin representatives so they can deliver sessions to Construction students.
- Release of the NEW EPA ACT has now been deferred until 1/7/2021.
- Construction Industry MANSLAUGHTER LEGISLATION still due for release on 1/7/2020. Impact of the word “suicide” being mentioned within the Act to be followed up with MBAV/HIA.
- Our Group expressed concern at the lack of updates being provided to the Construction Industry on the “REGISTRATION OF TRADESPEOPLE.”
Meeting 11 – 3 August 2020
- Worksafe advise they require notification of any worker on a Construction site that tests positive to C0VID- 19. (Similar to a current normal “Incident Report”)
- Registration and LICENSING OF CONSTRUCTION TRADES has been delayed 12 months due to the current Pandemic.
- CYBER INSURANCE requirements need to be considered by all employers due to the many incidents within Australia recently.
Meeting 12 – 16 November 2020
- Registration and LICENSING OF CONSTRUCTION TRADES has been delayed until the start of 2022.
- COVID SAFE PLANS are required on all sites, companies must ensure compliance.
- MBAV Geelong Section has appointed a new Chairman Mr Anthony Lococo commencing in 2021.
- Government subsidies for TRAINING are available for 17 – 24-year-old’s’ for various construction industry tickets. Contact MultiSkills Training in Moolap.
- Recently released POWERCOR REGULATIONS have changed the “No Go Zone” to 2.0m.
Meeting 13 – 24 May 2021
- WorkSafe have released an EWP INDUSTRY STANDARD April 2021 (90 pages)
- Powercor “NO GO ZONE” presentation occurred. For further information contact Allan Pont, HSEQ Manager at Lyons Construction.
- Construction Industry TRADES REGISTRATION & LICENCING implementation delayed until 2022. Employers should prepare.
- New EPA REGULATIONS came into force on 1/6/2021.
- Construction Industry COVID Guidelines Version 12 have been released by the Victorian Building and Construction Industry.
Meeting 14 – 22 November 2021
- National Asbestos Awareness Week started 22/11/2021.
- WorkSafe “On the Spot” Fine System has been legislated. 60 Items listed as Key Targets.
- It is confirmed that the “Geelong Regional Construction Safety Group” will continue in 2022.
- Construction Trade Registration has commenced with carpentry currently being resolved.
- It is pointed out that “The Builder” is responsible to check that HIGH RISK WORK ACTIVITY SWMS are being worked to by the Contractor / Subcontractor.
- MultiSkills have advised that TRAINING FUNDING is still available for various Industry Tickets for workers who have lost their jobs.
GRCSG contact for information: Allan Pont 0447 506 839